Finding your care home

Choosing a care home

You choose where you wish to live and how much you will have to pay to live in the care home of your choice.

All care homes are registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC). Search the Find a care home on the CQC website for details of care homes in your area and how their quality is rated by the CQC. 

You can arrange to visit a care home to see if it will be right for you. You could take a friend or family member with you. 

Which area do you want to live in?

The council will try to give you a choice of affordable care homes in the area you want to live in. The council will ensure that you are given as much choice and control as possible, throughout the process. 

It is important you let your social worker know where you would like to live. For example, you may have a care home in mind that you would like to move to.

If you would like to be near family and friends in another area, the social worker will be able to look for a care home closer to them.

Help to choose

Best interest decision

Sometimes, when people are unwell, they are not in a position to make a decision. In this case, the council will talk to family and friends and if necessary, make what is known as a best interest decision.

Meeting your care needs

If it is safe to do, so the care homes will want to meet you and complete an assessment to ensure that they can meet your care and support needs. They will let your social worker and brokerage officer know the outcome and their decision.

Care and financial assessments

If you decide you want to move to a care home, contact Tower Hamlets Connect to request a Care Act assessment.

Your assessment will be carried out by a social worker who will agree with you the level of care and support that you need. If you have already had a care assessment you can ask for it to be reviewed, explaining that you now wish to move into a care home

You will also need to have a financial assessment undertaken to see if you must pay towards your care. 

Finding your placement

Having agreed your care and support needs and confirmed your financial position, the social worker will contact the council's brokerage team who will find a care home placement for you. 

Feedback on this page