Lit candlesDealing with the loss of a loved one is one of the most painful things most of us will face. Everyone deals with bereavement differently and you may experience a whole range of emotions.

Dealing with bereavement

When someone dies, there are certain people and organisations that need to be told and specific documents and practical arrangements that need to be completed. This includes registering the death.

The UK Government has a useful step-by-step guide for what to do when someone dies.


Support organisations

Support is available from organisations such as:

The City and East London Bereavement Service (CELBS)

CELBS provides specialist bereavement services to Tower Hamlets residents over 18 years old. The service  has many years of experience in supporting individuals and couples who are grieving for reasons ranging from still birth to cancer and sudden traumatic death. Telephone: 020 3022 5177, email:

Tower Hamlets Bereavement Support Group

Tower Hamlets Talking Therapies bereavement service is available for people over 18 years old who have experienced a bereavement. It’s free and confidential, and typically offers six weekly sessions. Telephone: 020 8525 3140.

Bereavement Advice Centre

Bereavement Advice Centre is a free helpline and web-based information service provided by Co-op Legal Services. The centre provides practical help to aid with bereavement. Telephone 0800 634 9494.

Eden Care 

Eden Care UK is a BAME led service by people who have lost loved ones through terminal illness. It is a friendly intervention setup to provide support and empower the terminally ill and those reaching End of Life.

Eden Care UK also work together with community partners to deliver social and recreational activities for older people and address social isolation. Telephone : 07957 199 328

Feedback on this page