Preventing further strokes
If you have had a stroke, your chances of having another one are significantly increased. You'll usually require long-term treatment with medicines that improve the risk factors for your stroke.
- medicine to help lower your high blood pressure
- anticoagulants or antiplatelets to reduce your risk of blood clots
- statins to lower your cholesterol levels.
You'll also be encouraged to make lifestyle changes to improve your general health and lower your stroke risk, such as:
- eating a healthy diet
- exercising regularly
- stopping smoking if you smoke
- drinking alcohol within the recommended limits.