Why choose sheltered housing
Sheltered housing is designed for people who are:
- aged 55 years and over, and have needs that match what the service offers
- able to live independently and
- for who it is agreed that moving into sheltered housing is the right option.
If it is decided that you pose a risk to others, you will not be considered for sheltered accommodation.
It should be noted that the sheltered housing schemes are not designed for people with behaviours that challenge, for example substance misuse.
What is provided?
Sheltered housing provides:
- a self-contained flat with an assured shorthold tenancy.
- security and safety features such as door entry systems and CCTV to the main entrance.
- lifts are in most schemes
- assisted bathing facilities are available in some schemes
- shared facilities which may include:
- laundry rooms
- communal living areas
- guest rooms
- flats are unfurnished. You will need to supply all essential items including carpets, curtains, furniture and, in some cases, kitchen equipment.
On and offsite support
Whilst residents of sheltered schemes live independently, some residents benefit from having staff on site if they require some help or need advice.
Some sheltered schemes have staff present during the day from Monday to Friday, but this can vary. It may be that staff are present only for some of the day. All schemes will have someone visit at least once per week. This will be explained to you if you are invited to attend a viewing of a vacant property.
Staff can help you:
- settle in
- get in touch with local health, support and leisure services
- by providing advice and support with housing related issues.
There are no care staff based at the scheme, but they can visit the scheme to provide care.
How to apply
Each referral will be assessed on an individual basis and, whilst there are no specific exclusions, the landlord will need to be sure that you are able to manage a tenancy and wish to live in a sheltered environment.
You will need to be registered on the council’s housing register and be accepted for sheltered accommodation to bid for suitable sheltered homes through the Choice Based Lettings Scheme.
Find out more on the the Tower Hamlets Homeseekers website.