Paying for your care

What will I need to pay for?

  • You will pay rent to the housing provider for your flat.
  • You will also pay a service charge with your rent. Depending on the scheme this could cover some fuel charges, if for example there is a communal boiler or shared supply and similar such costs.
  • You are responsible for paying your own council tax and utility bills.
  • If you are on a lower income, you may be eligible for housing benefit and/or a council tax rebate.
  • You may need to contribute towards the care and support provided at the scheme, but only after an individual assessment by the council of your ability to pay. See our guide on 'Charging Policy for Adult Social Care' for more details.

Direct payments

People with care needs living in extra care supported housing can also have the option of having a direct payment and arranging their own care and support.