Types of homecare services

Deciding what type of homecare you need

Homecare agencies

Homecare agencies have a key role in delivering support in a manner that enables you to continue to maintain your wellbeing. This includes improving the skills you need to maintain your independence in your own home.

There are different types of services available from homecare agencies. Your care and needs assessment with the council will determine eligibility for services based on:

  • your needs
  • what you want to achieve in the short and long term, and
  • how you want to achieve those goals.

If, following your assessment, you are not eligible for funded services, we will give you advice and information on your other options. You may also choose to self fund some of your care. 

If you are eligible for funded services, you will be offered the option of how you want the care delivered, either through a council commissioned homecare agency or a direct payment. Depending on a financial assessment, you may need to pay towards the cost of your care

Personal care

Personal care helps you or your loved one complete day-to-day tasks like bathing, getting dressed or ready for bed with dignity and comfort.

Personal care may also include:

  • personal hygiene
  • help with dressing or undressing
  • getting ready for bed
  • administering medication
  • applying lotions or cream
  • changing and maintaining a stoma or catheter.

Domestic care

Domestic care workers can help with everyday jobs such as housework, laundry, and shopping. Whether you are recovering from an accident, struggling with mobility or need a helping hand, carers can help with these tasks while you continue living in your own home.

Domestic care may also include:

  • shopping and meal preparation
  • housekeeping
    • laundry
    • changing the bed
  • help with paperwork.

You may want to ask a friend, family or neighbour to support you with domestic care. In exceptional cases, domestic care can be provided via council funding.

Housing support

For this type of care, a carer will visit a few times a week to help with opening mail, paying bills, and generally anything that helps you maintain your home. This may be a useful care option for people with mental health conditions or learning disabilities.

Live-in care vs 24-hour care

Live-in care means having a fully trained paid carer living with you in your own home so that care is available when needed. Your live-in carer will support you with your specific needs to keep you comfortable and independent at home.

If you wake up more than twice a night, 24-hour care may be a better option than live-in care. A live-in carer will sleep when you sleep, while 24-hour care involves a carer staying in your home, awake, while you sleep to assist you when you wake.

Live-in care or 24-hour care will be offered by via council funding in exceptional circumstances.

Nursing domiciliary care

If you need support with medical-related activities such as:

  • injections
  • changing or applying dressings
  • assisting with oxygen, or other nursing help

some care agencies can offer you specialty nursing care support, or you may consider speaking to your GP to access services via the Community Health Team. 

Feedback on this page