Dealing with everyday tasks

Staying safe and independent

There is a wide range of support is available to help you keep safe and independent at home or in the community.

You could be struggling with any of the following tasks or something similar:

  • carrying meals between the kitchen and living room
  • being able to wash but finding it difficult to use the bath
  • completing kitchen tasks safely
  • reaching light switches to turn lights on and off
  • being able to shower independently
  • accessing the community to complete tasks such as shopping
  • getting in/out of the house
  • arranging for a hoist to be repaired
  • getting on and off furniture.

If you would like some advice, please contact Tower Hamlets Connect.

Help from occupational therapists 

Occupational therapists (OTs) can assess your circumstances and environment to identify a possible range of solutions with you.  They may be able to give you advice and information on the phone.

Sometimes, an OT may need to come and see you to make sure you receive the correct assistance we assist you in the right way. This is called an assessment. Adult social care and health teams work very closely together, so will often work in partnership to identify the best solution.

Solutions may include:

and help advice if you:

If your assessment shows that you need equipment, for example, a hoist and sling or minor works such as stair rails, we will support you to get the work completed.

Finding equipment to help you

There are many other products available to support people to live as independently as possible at home. This can be in the form of small aids or pieces of equipment to help with daily tasks, such as bathing and dressing. 

Telecare or assistive technology

There are also assistive technology solutions, often known as telecare.

This type of technology can remind and inform people, and their carers, about things that need to be done around the home. It can alert a family member or carer that a person has got out of bed at night and needs assistance or it may alert a monitoring centre that something has happened, and appropriate action should be taken.


Following their assessment by an occupational therapist or trusted assessor the person may be given a prescription for a small item/s of daily living equipment such as a bath board or raised toilet seat. These prescriptions can be redeemed at participating local pharmacies across the borough.











What if my home needs adapting?

Home adaptations can make carrying out daily activities easier and safer if you have a disability. They can include things such as:

Minor adaptations

These are small changes made to your home and usually cost than less than £1000. For example:

  • grab rails around the bath, shower or toilet
  • grab rails by the front or back door
  • additional stair rails
  • small steps to doors
  • lever taps in the kitchen

Major adaptations

These are significant changes to your home and are more expensive. For example:

  • level access showers or wet rooms
  • stairlifts or through-floor lifts
  • wheelchair ramps
  • widening doorways
  • adapting kitchens

If we find that your needs require a home adaptation, what happens next will depend on whether you own your property or your tenancy.

Can I arrange my own adaptations?

This depends on whether you own your property or are a tenant. If you are a tenant, you should contact your landlord / housing provider to discuss the changes required.

Find products and services online

The Disabled Living Foundation gives information, advice and a list of suppliers to help you choose.

Find tradespeople near you:

More information

Age UK gives advice on types of home adaptations to help make your home life easier.

Independent Age has guidance on 'Adapting your home to stay independent'.

Feedback on this page