Armed forces veterans

Support for armed forces personnel

If you are leaving the armed forces, or you are a former member of the armed forces, you may be entitled to support. There are several national organisations that help veterans to live a full life after they have left military service, including:

Housing issues, including homelessness

Members of the armed forces are generally provided with accommodation by the Ministry of Defence (MOD) but are required to leave this accommodation when they are discharged from service.

In this event, a ‘Cessation of Entitlement to Occupy Service Accommodation’ is issued six months before discharge. This certificate indicates when entitlement to occupy service accommodation ends and is considered as proof that an individual is threatened with homelessness.

The Tower Hamlets Housing Options Team may be able to provide advice if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness and are unable to make provisions for yourself. They will be able to work with you to help you to secure suitable alternative accommodation.

Further details can be found via the Ask Mo online toolkit.

Feedback on this page