Personal budgets

Your personal budget is the amount of money the council will pay towards any social care and support you need.

The amount of money in your personal budget is decided by the council after a needs assessment to work out:

  • what kind of care and support you need
  • how much it will cost
  • how much you're able to afford yourself.

Receiving your personal budget

You can ask the council to either:

  • manage your personal budget for you
  • pay the money to another organisation – such as a care provider
  • pay the money directly to you or someone you choose – this is known as a direct payment.

You can also choose a combination of these options. For example, the council could arrange some of your care but send you the rest of the money. This is often called a mixed package or "mix and match".

If the council manages your money

The money in your personal budget will be spent for you by the council. They will arrange all your care and support based on your agreed care plan.

They still need to check you're happy with the care they're arranging for you.

If your money is paid to another organisation

The organisation you choose, such as your care provider, will speak to the council and arrange the payments. Sometimes, other organisations charge you extra money to arrange payments from the council.

If you're a carer, you may be entitled to receive a personal budget after having a carer's assessment to see what might help make your life easier.

A carer's assessment is free and anyone over 18 can ask for one. Apply via the Tower Hamlets Carers Centre. For more information telephone 020 7790 1765 or email:

Feedback on this page